Wichita, KS asked in Probate for Kansas

Q: How can I use the Kansas simplified estates act for my mom's estate? I am an only child and she was divorced.

She has a loan on her home and car. Two bank accounts. Not worth much.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Scott C. Stockwell

  • Probate Lawyer
  • Lawrence, KS
  • Licensed in Kansas

A: Simplified estates probate procedure is designed to assist people with circumstances similar to yours. One or several heir(s)/beneficiary(ies)/legatee(s)/devisee(s) whose interests and relationships are in alignment; fixed assets (as opposed to an ongoing business), the amount of assets, the solvency of the estate, and the probable costs of administration. Depending upon circumstances, there may be other options for handling the estate (such as determination of descent, for example) that you might want to explore. You need the assistance of an attorney to evaluate which option is the best combination of convenience, cost, and effectiveness. It is a good idea to consult with an attorney as soon as possible. Steps may be needed to secure the assets until they may be transferred to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.