Asked in Child Support for Georgia

Q: My daughter was removed from my home for being a threat to my other children. State wants child support. What can I do?

Daughter had become physically violent and a threat to the safety of my self and my other 2 children and was removed from my home by defac.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
P. Justin Thrailkill
P. Justin Thrailkill
  • Fayetteville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: If she is in DFCS care you are going to have to pay child support. You need to speak with someone about representation in the juvenile court case. You are entitled to court appointed representation in a juvenile dependency case if you meet the income requirements.

I've dealt with this situation before, and there really isn't a good resolution other than to see that the child gets the mental health treatment they need to keep her and the other children safe. DFCS should be able to provide financial assistance while you are working a case plan to get this process started (i.e. psych eval and treatment). Take advantage of the services you are offered, pay your support, and work on getting her well enough to come back home and continue treatment there. Good luck to you and your family.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.