Bay Shore, NY asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for New York

Q: How can i obtain free legal advice / direction, regarding a divorce with a small child involved?

My husband wants a divorce. But is filing for the divorce in South Carolina, knowing i can not afford to make the trips back & forth down there. He also wants me to sign uncontested divorce papers, allowing him to have shared legal custody. I currently live in Suffolk County , NY in the same household with him. He also has a full time job, here in Suffolk County. But he's been using his sisters address, down south to prove his residency there. He refuses to allow me to go down south to submit the divorce papers with him, so i can see, speak & understand what's going on. He's demanding me to sign the uncontested divorce papers with his stipulations attached in front of a notary here in Ny, so he can go to South Carolina alone & submit the papers to the courts. I am terrified & confused & in desperate need for free legal help / advice. Is he allowed to do what he's doing? He told me, that if i don't sign the papers, he's going to submit them anyway & he's going to win what he wants.

1 Lawyer Answer
Christine Moccia
Christine Moccia
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Rye Brook, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Email me about this. If you cannot afford an attorney in NY there are resources that may be available to you.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.