College Station, TX asked in Probate for Kansas

Q: Do we have to go through probate court or can we get a decree of descent?

My father passed away in the state of Ks. He had 1 checking account without a POD, a house, cars and some land. Other money accounts had PODs. He did not have a will. How do we have to handle this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Scott C. Stockwell

  • Probate Lawyer
  • Lawrence, KS
  • Licensed in Kansas

A: Depending upon the size or value of the estate, the potential claims against the estate, and the agreement among the possible heirs, there are several options availiable to the heirs at law. Simplified adminstration allows for minimizing the oversight of the court and is generally available if the case does not require complex administration beyond the experience of the administrator, there are adquate assets to pay potential claims, and there is an agreement between the heirs. If no probate estate has been opened within six months of the date of death, a decree of descent allows for a single petition/notice/order procedure to transfer the assets to the heirs or their designated beneficiaires; during that six month period, no person has the authority to act on behalf of the estate. In certain circumstances, informal administration may be an appropriate single filing case to transfer property prior to the six months having passed (subject to creditors claims if a creditor surfaces prior to the six months having passed and causes an estate to be opened). You should have the assistance of an experienced attorney to select the best option and to prepare the filings for the court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.