Fort Morgan, CO asked in Child Custody for Colorado

Q: My child is 16 and wants to live with me, with the noncustodial parent, but we want to move out of state.

The other parent has primary custody but we technically split 50/50 with a week on/week off schedule but my 16 year old wants to live with me full time and we would like to move out of state but I don’t know which papers that I would need and if they would have a choice even if the other parent says no. How would I go about this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Courtney Edwards

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Edwards, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: You would need to file a motion to relocate and have a hearing if the other parent does not agree. Because your child is 16, the judge may consider his/her input. But these are hard cases to win. You should consult with an attorney to help you with this matter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.