Katy, TX asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Michigan

Q: My fiance is a federal prisoner awaiting sentencing in Michigan Eastern District Federal Court. This is a Criminal case.

Right now shes at 1475 days from indictment and 780 days since initial sentencing date. Her sentencing has been reset 5 times and now the prosecution is asking for a further delay of at least 90 days since the lead prosecution attorney has quit and the case has still not gone to trial due one co defendant not taking a plea, 5 others accused have all taken pleas. Is there any recourse for her to be sentenced and transferred to a federal facility without her waiting for the trial to be completed? In the 4 wasted years of incarceration she has not had access to any programs she is eligible for. Do we have any recourse. Please help

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: It would sound as though your fiance will be credited with all this time once she is finally sentenced. Because she is not yet in the BOP (she is in pretrial detention), she will not have access to many programs. Once she is at a home facility, she may be prioritized for programing based on her expected out date.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.