Kansas City, KS asked in Probate for Kansas

Q: Can an administrator of an estate make monetary decisions with out notifying the beneficiaries

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Scott C. Stockwell
Scott C. Stockwell
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Lawrence, KS
  • Licensed in Kansas

A: An administrator is subject to the oversight of a probate judge. If the estate is one of "simplified administration", there is less supervision required than under normal administration. All administrators have a fiduciary responsibility to act in the best interest of the estate, its creditors, and the beneficiaries. If an administrator is acting in an interested manner or favoring one heir, creditor, or a third party over those persons or the estate to whom a fiduciary duty is owed, the court may call the adminstrator to account. There are certain reports and filings (for example, an inventory and valuation and a final accounting) that are required of an administrator regardless of the type of administration. You should consult with an experienced probate attorney to determine whether the fiduciary is meeting the obligations imposed by the office and the law applicable to the specific administration. If you have questions, you shouldn't wait to consult an attorney. Some actions, once taken, can affect the estate in ways that are hard to determine the cost to the estate. A judge may be reluctant to second-guess an administrator in absence of a clear record shwing bad faith.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.