Birdsboro, PA asked in Family Law and Tax Law for Pennsylvania

Q: I pay child support and mortgage support in PA. How much can I itemize on taxes of the marital home?

She currently resides in the home and I pay child support and mortgage support. How much can I take of the marital home deductions since it’s in my name also? Doesn’t the child support cover housing expense too.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Englewood, CO

A: Child support is not deductible regardless of what its spent on.

I've never heard of mortgage support before, but there's no deduction for it.

If you mean that you pay the mortgage directly to the bank then you can deduct the interest for the amount you pay on Sch A. It's a good idea to discuss this with the other individuals on the mortgage who make payments so you don't over or under deduct the applicable amount.

Kathryn Hilbush
Kathryn Hilbush
  • Media, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: You should discuss this issue with your tax preparer. You may not be able to claim any of it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.