Pearl, MS asked in Personal Injury for Illinois

Q: If my toddler was injured in a hotel by a table that fell on him could I have a case?

The table was inside of the room, it had wheels on it, no locking mechanism visible, my son was listed on my itinerary. He did have injuries, he received five stitches above his right eye due to this incident.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Steve McCann

  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: It is certainly possible that you have a case based on the facts provided. However, an attorney will need additional facts in order to provide you with a comprehensive evaluation of the viability of recovering on such an action, such as the reason the table fell etc...

That being the case, I recommend you organize everything in your possession related to this matter, including any pictures and evidence you have, and consult with an attorney individually. Many of us offer free consultations, and will represent you and your son on a contingent basis if the case has merit, so it will not cost you anything out of pocket to obtain the opinion and guidance of an experienced professional.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Tim Akpinar


A: I hope your son is recovering well. An attorney would likely want to see additional details about the design and construction of the table and circumstances of the accident. Hotel attorneys could raise issue about level of supervision exercised. Consulting with an Illinois injury attorney could cover some of these issues in further detail.

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.