Easton, PA asked in Employment Discrimination for Pennsylvania

Q: If my ex husband has been working a lot of overtime can I take him back to court?

Also if my child is over 18 and still lives with me and goes to college can I still collect?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall
  • Norristown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: When you say "take him back to court," do you mean to increase any alimony award he may be paying right now, or to increase a child support payment?

If the former, likely not - although perhaps, if the alimony award/agreement allows for modification. You'll need to have a family law attorney review all the paperwork on that issue to give you a more definitive answer.

If the latter, and your "child" is now an adult, your ex-husband no longer has any obligation to pay child support or college expenses -- unless you two signed a written agreement saying otherwise ,and that agreement was incorporated into your divorce decree. Again, if there is such a written agreement, sit down with a family law attorney to go over such things -- that attorney will need to review anything and everything that is in writing.

Best of luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.