Memphis, TN asked in Elder Law for Tennessee

Q: If a POA has not been in contact with the person that named them over the whole year since they became it can it be rev

My father's sister is his POA she has not been in contact with him for the past year since you became his POA she has changed his life insurance policy to add her to have 10% of it and the two children she had taken or grandchildren have 45% of it a piece and not the others which is what he wanted what's for them all to have some money she hasnt handled any of his affairs she has threatened to call the law on him and many more things can it be revoke from her my father now also has been declared mentally incompetent don't know how long for because he had some seizures woke up with some memory loss but he can still talk rationally to you can this be revoke from her without going to court to get conservatorship she has not acted on his behalf at all no Good intentions at all please help me this is in the state of Tennessee

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: The Principal of an executed Power of Attorney can revoke it at any time. He can issue a Revocation Document, which can be recorded at the Register of Deeds or it can be given to any important asset administrators such as a Bank or Insurance Company. He can always change the Insurance Designation of Beneficiaries himself. And you can hire an attorney to Petition for Conservatorship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.