Oak Creek, WI asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Wisconsin

Q: How do I file to become a Personal Representative for my deceased Uncle’s assests. He lived in West Allis, WI

He died in February and left no Will. He owned a home and has a checking and money market account, that we have no access to.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas B. Burton
Thomas B. Burton
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Eau Claire, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: Hello, I am sorry to hear about your Uncle's passing. If you want to become appointed as Personal Representative of his Estate, you will need to file an Application for Informal Administration, or an Application for Formal Administration to Open the Probate, as well as a Consent to Serve Form, stating you are willing to serve as Personal Representative. There are several other forms as well that will need to be completed in order to open the Probate Case. All of the forms are available on the Wisconsin Courts website, but I suggest that you consult with a qualified lawyer who can help you get all of the necessary paperwork together to guide you through the probate. The assets of the Estate can be used to pay the lawyer fees and court fees once you are appointed as Personal Representative. You need to obtain Letters Testamentary from the Court in order to gain access to his financial accounts and in order to sell the home. Best of luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.