Oak Grove, LA asked in Adoption, Family Law and Child Custody for Missouri

Q: My fiancé’s kids’ father moved out of state and has not contacted them in months. Is this considered abondonment

My fiancé’s kids’ father moved to California 10 months ago (We live in Missouri) and has not spoken to them in 6 months. Is this considered a form of abondoment? If so, what steps can we take to terminate parental rights in order for me to adopt them? He “pays” child support (about $700) in the form of making the house payment. The oldest (3) asks/talks about him asking why he doesn’t want to live/be around him anymore. The youngest (1 1/2) doesn’t even know he exists and I am the only father figure she’s ever known. Her and I have a newborn about a week old now. Thanks

1 Lawyer Answer
Lydia Seifner
Lydia Seifner
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Springfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: You and the children's mother will need to be married for six months before you can seek adoption. After that, talk to an adoption attorney local to you to assist you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.