Dacula, GA asked in Business Law and Contracts for Wisconsin

Q: Can I file a complaint if a company does not disclose the “cooling off period” and inform me of my right to terminate?

Signed an advertising deal with Wisconsin based company which I am now in the process of terminating by way of paying an early termination fee. My question is since they failed to inform me of my right to terminate and no where on the contract does it state it, do I have grounds for a complaint? The contract was physically signed in Georgia and the meeting took place at a fancy country club, not their usual place of business. Not looking for personal gain, simply don’t want them to mislead others because there is significant amounts of money involved.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

A: Unfortunately, not every written contract is required to have a free "I've got second thoughts and want an early out" clause. In fact, you should be glad the contract even has an "early termination fee" clause, because that is not required everywhere either.

IMO, you are to be commended for stepping up to the plate, admitting you made a bad decision (after being wined and dined at a fancy country club) and deciding to pay the contractual early termination fee to get out of the contract. And finally, while I also admire your stated reason for asking the question here on Justia, i.e. you "don't want them to mislead others" I am sad to report that P.T. Barnum was 100% correct when he quipped: "A sucker is born every minute" in America.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: It could be difficult for an attorney to offer direction as to how to proceed without seeing the contract in its entirety.

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.