Aurora, CO asked in DUI / DWI for Colorado

Q: Can CO. Change the verdict of a judge to make a 1st. DUI into a 2nd. & then use a 25yr. old DUI out of CA. to make a 3rd

Thus charging me with a 4th for a present DUI in CO. & a felony? If this isn't legal do I have recourse to this injustice, after taking a plea bargain?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr.  H. Michael Steinberg
Mr. H. Michael Steinberg
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Greenwood Village, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: If the person convicted has ANY DUI convictions over their lifetime in any state - the judge is required under Colorado law to sentence that person under enhanced sentencing guidelines.

It is not a matter of choice for the judge - it is mandatory.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.