Asked in Family Law, Child Support and Divorce for Michigan

Q: Divorced 1 yr, joint custody, I pay CS. Ex's pay has increased and we now have same salary. Can I request CS mod in MI?

My ex wife and I share 50/50 custody, however I pay child support because I was making more than her at the time of our divorce. We have been divorced one year. Is it too early to request a review for a child support modification? I reside in Michigan

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: The threshold for a modification is whether any change of circumstance would change the support amount by more than $50 or 10%. The state offers a free online child support calculator that you can input your numbers to see if you would meet the criteria.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.