Miami, FL asked in Divorce for Florida

Q: Can ex-wife ask for alimony after divorce is final with alimony waiver on the Marital Settlement?


My divorce is final since Feb 2018 and now my ex-wife is asking me for alimony even though we signed a Marital Settlement Agreement where "both parties waive the right to alimony". She was the petitioner.

I understand that in Florida "if no alimony is awarded at time of divorce, the court has nothing to modify. In Florida, if the original case closes out without any alimony award, you cannot go back and modify the judgment to get alimony. The technical reason is because the court lacks jurisdiction over “alimony” once the no-alimony order is signed. This is an absolute rule – with no way to get around it. If you close your original case without alimony – there will never be alimony".

Also she is not complying to all that we agreed on the Agreement.

And she has an inherence of $600K in cash, properties and 401K.

But she is telling me that she doesn't want to work full-time because she doens't want our 2 kids be with a nanny. We agreed on $1000 for Child Support.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Podolsky
Matthew Podolsky
  • Tampa, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Generally, if alimony is waived and the final judgment has been entered alimony should not be awarded. Further, if the final judgment was entered over a year ago the options to reopen the case would be limited.

If your ex-spouse is not complying with the terms of the Marital Settlement Agreement, you may have grounds to file a motion for contempt. Additionally, your ex may be sanctioned and have to pay your legal fees if the motion for contempt is granted.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.