Richfield, PA asked in Adoption and Family Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Can I adopt my fiancés daughter in the state of Pa? And how hard will it be to do so? Any advice on how to get started?

I have been with my fiancé for almost 3 years. He has Sole and Physical custody of his daughter. The Birth Mother has been deemed an unfit mother by a judge in the past. She is continuously in and out of jail for drugs and theft. Her other child is not in her care as well, living with the Father’s Mother.

My Fiancés daughter calls me Mom. Knows me as her Mommy. I’m with her 24/7, caring for her. She doesn’t even know about her Birth Mother. She is 5 years old, and the Birth Mother was only in her life for maybe half a year before she decided to do her own thing instead(drugs/crime). She hasn’t given up any rights, for either children.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Norristown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Yes -- but you'll have to file a petition to involuntarily terminate birth mother's parental rights at the same time. If birth mother hasn't had any contact at all with the child within the past 6 months, your fiance will have grounds to terminate birth mother's parental rights.

Contact your county's Orphans' Court section -- they may have sample forms for filing both a petition to terminate and for adoption. Best of luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.