Asked in Criminal Law and Appeals / Appellate Law for Missouri

Q: My husband is serving 15 years for a crime he did not commit what can I do?

My husband pled guilty to a crime in 2012 that he was not guilty of he She in fact was being shot in air lifted across She in fact was being shot in air lifted across town at a different address at the time of the burglary but his lawyer led him to believe that because he was on the person's property that shot him that he was be charged for burglary at that house 3 pled guilty because he in fact was at that house and was shot but he did not burglarized this other house so they are saying he is past appeal time but he didn't realize this until now and it's too late is there anything he could do we live in Missouri We are also pass the appeal time of 180 days because he thought it was a 180 days after his probation was revoked and his sentence was carried out and instead they're saying it was a 180 days in 2014. But I just need to know if there's anything we can do at this point to show hes innocent

1 Lawyer Answer
Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
  • Appeals & Appellate Lawyer
  • Chesterfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: It sounds like you recognize that the appeal deadline has passed. Most likely, the judgment is final and cannot be appealed, but I encourage you to sit down with a good appellate criminal defense attorney, even if you need to pay for the consult, in order to get a fact-based assessment of the situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.