Asked in Criminal Law and Animal / Dog Law for Tennessee

Q: Does a 30 suspended jail sentence stay in your permanent record?

1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Kent Thomas Jones
Mr. Kent Thomas Jones
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Cleveland, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You can't make a determination simply on those facts. If it is pre-trial diversion, because the individual didn't have a prior record, then they probably have the capability to apply to have it expunged at the end which would take it off the record. If it was not a pre-trial diversion situation, i.e., there have been prior convictions, then it is possible that it could go down on the record forever if it was a conviction or plea of guilty. You really need to consult with an individual attorney in the area to get an exact answer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.