Asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Colorado

Q: my husbands ex owes him $10000 in child support she pays $20 a month when she should pay $520 for 2 kids.what can we do

So my husband shares custody of the boys with his ex, they were never married, judge decided 5 years ago that it was better for the boys to live with dad because of a history of child abuse and negligence from her side, child abuse keeps happening, according to child services the abuse is not bad enough to do anything. she owes my husband $10000 in child support, she pays $20 a month because of a deal she maid with child support. is it worth to spend time and money to file for contempt when she owes $10000 in child support? we know she works and child support does not take her tax return or part of her paycheck.

boys don't want to go to their moms anymore but they are 5 and 6, is there a way judge can consider the boys statement for new court orders?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

John Hyland Barrett III

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Your husband has a variety of remedies, including contempt and garnishment of her wages. He may be able to get a modification of parenting time/decision making. One approach would be to have the court appoint a Child and Family Investigator or a Parental Responsibility Evaluator to review the situation and make recommendations about custody. He should get a lawyer to help him with all this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.