Memphis, TN asked in Child Custody and Divorce for Tennessee

Q: Can I take custody of my biological child if I divorce the bipolar mother?

I am unhappily married and would like to get a divorce. I have two children with this woman and she is mentally bipolar and refuses to take meds or get counseling. 9 years ago she cheated on me and got pregnant by another man. I have taken care of her and baby and call him my own son. She refuses to sign any papers and doesn't want a divorce. Research has shown me that I can divorce an unwilling partner but I dont know what will happen to my son because hes not biologically mine. I know she wouldn't be able to take care of him. I want to make sure I'd get custody before I divorce her.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bennett James Wills
Bennett James Wills
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: If you file for divorce it is possible to obtain a divorce even though the spouse does not want one. You may have grounds to gain custody of a biological child. If you are attempting to get custody over a non-biological child you'll run into some problems. Consult with a local attorney to discuss and determine the best and appropriate action for your circumstances.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.