Southfield, MI asked in Landlord - Tenant for Indiana

Q: My lease says no extra occupants, I can't get extra guests to leave... what do I do

Back in November my husband and I allowed my kids dad to move in for a "couple months" next thing we know he moved his GF and her son in too, which took us up to 8 people in our 3 bedroom home. We live in an MPH in Noble county. We rent. Our lease doesn't have anyone on it besides my husband my daughter and I on it. I have told this man to get out of my house multiple times and he refuses to leave. Tells me to evict him. He isn't on my lease, we are over occupancy and I have no idea what to do. Now he quit his job, and has literally forced my husband and i into supporting him and his family of 5. They use our only vehicle to go where ever they want when ever they want and neither of them are legally licensed, they just up and leave their kids with us never even ask just leave, even now as I type this I'm sitting here with their youngest child as they left without asking me to watch their kid and took my truck. They all share a bedroom. I need them gone.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alexander Florian Steciuch
Alexander Florian Steciuch
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: They've been there so long they are considered legal residents. You have to evict them if you want them gone. If you don't you risk your landlord evicting you and them since you are breaking your lease agreement.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.