Bossier City, LA asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Louisiana

Q: How do i get my mail? Or can i press charges against her for keeping my mail.

I moved out of a house my ex and I owned together. She's still there. Changed the locks. She filed some kind civil suit against me after i moved out. The house is now for sale. Atleast 1 check and possibly my state income taxes were mail to that house and in my name only.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

A: I suggest you call the post office and give them a forwarding address for your mail in the future. As far as your personal mail in her possession, she cannot keep something that belongs to you. If you have reason to believe she is keeping your personal items, you can call the local law enforcement agency to escort you to the property to retrieve your belongings. You could also file a criminal complaint with your local law enforcement agency if you believe you are the victim of a crime. It would be at their discretion whether or not to formally charge her or not.

Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Do a change of address online with USPS. Send cert mail or fax to anyone that you think sent you important mail, that you have moved.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.