Raleigh, NC asked in Criminal Law and Sexual Harassment for Georgia

Q: Hi. My friends step brother sexually assaulted and raped her when she was in 7th grade. The guy is 4-5 years older

She has just now come forward at the age of 22. He is already on the registry. What are the steps to report him and possibly get him convicted?

1 Lawyer Answer
Ecleynne Mercy
Ecleynne Mercy
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Call the District attorney office and report the crime.

O.C.G.A. § 17-3-2.1 sets out the statute of limitations for most sex offenses involving children under the age of 16.

For offenses committed between July 1, 1992 and June 30, 2012, if the alleged victim of the offenses of rape or child molestation is under 16 years of age, the statute of limitations (seven years) shall not begin to run until the victim has reached the age of 16 or the violation is reported to law enforcement.

Based on what you provided, the alleged victim has time to report. I hope this helps.

Bruce Alexander Minnick agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.