Kansas City, MO asked in Traffic Tickets for Missouri

Q: Last year around this time I got a speeding ticket for doing 13 over on the I-44, I paid the fine and got 3 point....

A few days ago I was driving yes speeding I didn't know I passed a cop but I turned down a gravel road and I noticed there was 2 cars following me pretty fast so I took the next right and was still driving then I seen the light of the police and pulled over... He let me go but I got a ticket with no amount for doing 20 to 25 over the limit and the officer said I evaded him.... What's going to happen at my court date

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andrea Rogers
Andrea Rogers
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • St. Louis, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: When you go to court, the judge will ask if you are pleading guilty or not guilty. If you plead guilty, the judge will sentence you and assess the fine & court costs. 3 points will be added to your driving record and your car insurance rates may increase as a result.

Or you can plead not guilty and the judge will set your case for a trial.

Or you can hire a traffic law attorney to get your ticket reduced to a non-moving, no-point infraction such as Illegal Parking or Littering. The outcome of your case depends on which court your case is being prosecuted in, how bad your driving record is, and exactly how fast you were driving.

If you also received a ticket for evading police, that's a separate 2-point moving violation. Your attorney may be able to get that ticket reduced to a no-point violation, as well.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.