Pittsburgh, PA asked in Divorce for Pennsylvania

Q: My boyfriend wants to get divorced. They've been separated for at least 7 years. Can he get divorced w/o her agreeing?

She is very difficult and when he tried to file before she would not sign any papers or cooperate with anything. He doesn't know if she'll cooperate now, but, it's 5 years since he first tried so he is hoping. He just wants to be divorced and to be able to get on with his life with me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dawn Padanyi
Dawn Padanyi
  • Doylestown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Divorce can be attained without mutual consent under certain sections of the divorce code. Especially in the case of a husband wife that have been separated for the length of time you indicate. He should contact a local divorce attorney to consult with him and assist in getting his divorce finalized.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.