Portland, OR asked in Collections for Oregon

Q: can a joint and several be dismissed?

I was convicted in 2006 for forgery, when convicted the amount awed was joint and several with the other party. I am the only one in the past 13 years that has made any payments and has been garnished over this. Is it possible to get this dismissed to where the other party needs to be liable? Or settle on the fact that I am the only 1 that has made any payments. There is 1 judge in my county that maybe would be in favor of doing this but I dont know how to get it started as I really cant afford an attorney if this is even possible.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: You can always try but it is HIGHLY unlikely that you will extinguish your liability before 100% has been paid. It is, after all, the whole point of joint and several liability - both (all) parties owe the entire amount to the creditor, and the creditor is free to collect any or all of it from any party that they can. All this said, you may, however, have claims against your fellow debtor for the amount of their share of the payments that you have made. That, however, would likely require a separate lawsuit by you against them and if the current creditor has not collected anything from the other person, you may want to be sure you have some way to before incurring the additional expense of suing them.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.