Asked in Intellectual Property and Trademark

Q: what actions can be taken when a person breaches a private undrtaking, i.e. given to the trademark holder & not in court

The company/person who has a registered trademark comes to know that his trademark is being used by some other person/company. The trademark holder company sends a cease and desist notice to the infringing party upon which they gave an undertaking that they shall not use the said registered trademark. After a few days, the trademark holder comes to know that the infringing party still uses the said trademark, i.e. breached the undertaking given. What actions can be taken against the infringing party?


1. The undertaking is given to the trademark holder privately and not before the court.

2. Such a case is not filed anywhere.

1 Lawyer Answer
Griffin Klema
Griffin Klema
  • Trademarks Lawyer
  • Tampa, FL

A: If the "undertaking" as you describe it is an enforceable contract, then it might be breach of that contract. If there is no contract (i.e. settlement agreement or license), then there may be a valid claim for trademark infringement. It doesn't matter that the agreement was not part of a formal legal proceeding. If you are the party that owns the mark, I would be pleased to discuss your case further: 202-713-5292 (cell).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.