Portland, OR asked in Adoption and Family Law for Oregon

Q: I was adopted want nothing to do with adopted parents. I have a relationship w/ my biological parent

Want to remove adopted parents from birth cert and put bio parents and change last name to birth last name

Reason for removing adopted parents is adopted farther molested me adopted mother physically abused me i want nothing to do with them or any ties to them. Please help

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: If you are over age 18 and your biological parents consent you could have your biological parents adopt you and that should amend your birth certificate. Check on this with vital statistics but it might work. Just be aware that this could effect any benefits or future inheritance rights you have with your adoptive family.

You can also, on your own, once you are 18 or older, apply for a name change that will amend your birth certificate but not remove the names listed of your adoptive parents.

Changing your birth records is only ceremonial. It may take counseling to resolve the emotional damage. But I do understand how this will help you move away from the abuse you suffered. At a minimum you can certainly change your name without needing anyone else's consent or participation. We don't normally produce our birth certificates but we do use our legal names every day. You can even adopt a completely new name that has nothing to do with any of your parents.

But again, I urge you to get counseling before you make any drastic changes in your life. I don't want you to have depression because you expect a ceremonial change to help with your emotional pain and later find out that it really doesn't.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.