Eugene, OR asked in Bankruptcy for Oregon

Q: if a credit company buys traffic tickets can I then include that in bankruptcy since it is no longer a govt. issue?

basically a credit company has "bought" my tickets from years ago and they want over 3 times the original amount. since its a credit company can I declare bankruptcy on them?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: I've never come across this question in my practice but I do see your point. Basically has the dischargable nature of the debt changes due to the assignment of a non-government agency. So I don't know the answer but it does raise some issues. First you would need to get all the documents that show the connection between the collection agency who you have been dealing with and the government entity which first had the debt. It may be that the governmental unit that created the debt still owns it and has only hired the collection agent to collect that debt. It may be that the debt was "sold" completely to the collection agency. So you first have to figure that out. Then you need to research bankruptcy case law to see if this is an issue that has already been ruled on by a bankruptcy court. It is possible that there is a bankruptcy Attorney who already knows the answer because they already researched this.

Since you should be working with an Attorney to do your bankruptcy, your Attorney should be the one to figure this out. Most Bankruptcy Attorney's here in Oregon belong to some network with other bankruptcy Attorneys so they can put the question out on the network and sometimes get a very quick answer. Also the Attorneys in Oregon have access to a service called "Fast Case" through their Oregon State Bar membership and they can search this issue in the Bankruptcy Case data base.

Bruce Alexander Minnick agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.