Denver, CO asked in Criminal Law for Colorado

Q: Can I change the venue of a criminal conviction after all punishments have been complete?

HB19-1263 which just passed in Denver, states a person may vacate their felony if they have less than 4 grams of a substance... well that is the case with me and I completed all the stipulations of the charge but my charge was in Arizona not Colorado. Can I move the case so that I can vacate it? Is there anything I can do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr.  H. Michael Steinberg
Mr. H. Michael Steinberg
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Greenwood Village, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: I am sorry to say that this is not legally possible. Colorado and Arizona are completely different states - "sovereigns" and Colorado law cannot be applied to Arizona convictions and vice versa. If this was a Colorado conviction and the case was transferred for probation supervision as an example - it would be possible - but it is not possible under the facts as you describe them.

Brian K. McHugh and Courtney Edwards agree with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.