Loganville, GA asked in Appeals / Appellate Law and Criminal Law for Georgia

Q: My federal habeas was dismissed due to untimely filing. My ?, what should I expect to pay for an out of time appeal

I was in prison from 2009 to 2017. My attorney filed a post judgement motion and then a appeal from that motion. However, all judgements, convictions, and sentences from the trial court are directly appealable to the Ga. Court of appeals. There is also a O.C.G.A. statute that states a post judgement motion is not a prerequisite to a direct appeal, which means it doesn't have to come beforehand. I know to prevail on an out of time appeal I have to prove two things. 1) was my attorney ineffective. And 2) can the error or issue be proven in the record.

The answer to both questions is yes.

My attorney stated that she had never met me and knew nothing about my case except for what she read in the incident report just before I came into the court room. That means that all the papers she signed and submitted to the court were purjured documents. That's not just ineffective, it's also unethical.

And I informed the court that I was not aware of my charges. The judge coerced the plea.

1 Lawyer Answer
Ecleynne Mercy
Ecleynne Mercy
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Honestly. Expect to pay a lot. I don't do Appeals, but the saying you get what you pay for rings very true in appeals cases. Be prepared to spend a large amount of money because the data review alone is hours. I hope this helps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.