Ankeny, IA asked in Traffic Tickets for Minnesota

Q: Citation for not changing drivers license over after getting a warning the first time around. Can I get it dropped?

I had gotten stopped back in October and got a warning for not changing my licenses over to minnesota but I had been living there for 20 days. Then got stopped again just 2 weeks ago, april but got a citation. One week later I changed my license over and got my registration and license plates to minnesota. Can I go to court and get it dropped or at least get the fine down? Is it a criminal offense? Am i going to get a record?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas C Gallagher
Thomas C Gallagher
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: You could look up the statute number online to see if the charge is a misdemeanor crime. I would if you'd mentioned the number. But, with violations like this, often the primary concern of the government is gaining compliance. Now that you have complied, if you bring proof to court the prosecutor may offer you a disposition that will not result in a conviction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.