Madison, AL asked in Child Support and Family Law for Georgia

Q: Can a child support agreement outside of court be an argument against paying arrears?

My ex and I had lawyers agree on a lower child support payment 2 years ago. An agreement was drawn up but never signed by both parties, only I signed it. She never signed it and she did not submit it to the court. Now she is taking me to court for owing thousands in arrears. Am I going to be able to argue that I should not owe arrears because she agreed two years ago? It just never got filed in court with her signature. I have emails of my lawyer informing that her lawyer said she agrees to the lower amount.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Ellaretha Coleman

  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You should contact the attorney who drew up the agreement for you. This may be a circumstance where a motion to enforce settlement agreement may be appropriate. The agreement may also provide an argument against whether your failure to pay the previously order support amount is willful.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.