Florissant, MO asked in Family Law and Child Support for Missouri

Q: Can child support cont when child joins military and there's still arrears /back owed due in Missouri?

Child graduating high school, age 19, joining military a few months after that. Probably getting married too this year. Currently receiving child support which includes arrears. I'd imagine current would discontinue, but arrears would continue? Would it stay the same amount to take down the balance faster? Does the payment go directly to our child then?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jessica Emery
Jessica Emery
  • St. Louis, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: In Missouri, child support generally ends when the child turns 18, marries, or joins the military (among other events). There are exceptions to this rule that don't seem to apply in your circumstances, but can be found in RSMo 452.340.

The FSD website has the necessary Affidavit form for you to ask that your child support obligation to be concluded. If your support obligation is successfully terminated, you will still continue to owe any arrears.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.