Atlanta, GA asked in Criminal Law for Georgia

Q: My brother was locked up at 17 and when his attorney came to sprak to him they tild hin he could not speak to him.

The attorney submitted a written request for the detectives to stop talking to him and they did not. He later confessed but they initially stated they just wanted to talk to him.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Ecleynne Mercy

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: He needs an attorney to potentially argue a motion to suppress any confessions that were made. If this happened as explained AND it is proven that your brother didn't waive his rights to speak to an attorney either written or oral.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.