Saint Petersburg, FL asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Florida

Q: I was informed a few weeks ago that I am to get my deceased mother's pension/retirement. All I have is the death cert.

As far as I know we never had a probate court case. My mother had nothing when she died. I was her only child and I took care of her all of my adult life and had poa for many years. They have me listed as the beneficiary, but want this executor info. How do I obtain this money? They said I may have to go to probate court. She died in CT, and I now live in FL. I am poor and cannot go to CT. This should have all been resolved, as I was told by the funeral home that all that was supposed to have been done, was done. Who do I contact? This employer just said they had no info they could provide me with. My mother died 6 years ago. Can I get this money without there having been an executor/probate case?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Long H. Duong
Mr. Long H. Duong
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Gainesville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If she was a Connecticut resident, you are going to have to seek advice in Connecticut. Probate in Florida only occurs for estates where the deceased resided in Florida at time of death or where the deceased owned property in Florida. Hope that helps.

Lauren Nagel Richardson agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.