Cookeville, TN asked in Civil Litigation, Medical Malpractice and Wrongful Death for Tennessee

Q: my friends won a financial setelment and she passed monday how can her husband find the case # he cant find any info

it was a law sute over the death of their unborn child. she kept all the family records and he cant find any paper work on the case of the lawyers name the money was to be transfered to their account wednesday she has been brain dead for 3 weeks and was removed from life support and passed monday. he has her 3 childreen in his custody and the settlement was awarded to them both she handeled every thing while he was working 2 jobs and now he doesnt know how to find the court info

2 Lawyer Answers
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: There are several ways to find a Case as there are only so many Clerks of Circuit Courts and Federal Courts in your area. But are you sure a suit was filed in the first place? There may have been a Settlement without filing suit. You could start by calling every lawyer in the area and asking. But the Husband should have been involved also, and should have at least talked once to the lawyer that took the Case. He should be able to find that lawyer's office. If there was actually a Settlement, it will be confidential. But diligent questioning of her Husband and friends should disclose who handled the Claim, what if any Court was involved, and who is supposed to be paying.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: He should start by going to the Court for the county where you lived when the unborn child passed. You would then find I'm assuming an estate case opened. Second, where did she get medical care while she was pregnant with that child? Go to the civil court records to see if there is a case under her name or the name of that child. Further steps are outlined by Mr. Avery.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.