Asked in Family Law for Missouri

Q: I have joint legal custody of my son. He has autism and ADD and is on meds. His biological mother is refusing to

have him be seen by a psychiatrist. What are my rights and steps to pursue this. I just want him to be safe and followed appropriately as these meds are controlled substances. Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Christopher Fink
Christopher Fink
  • Kansas City, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: If you have joint legal custody then you would already have the legal authority to schedule an appointment for your son. If you do not have this authority, then you would need to file a motion to modify to request the court review the situation. Perhaps you could simply ask the Mother to go to mediation and resolve it outside of court. Plus mediation would be less expensive and more expeditious.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.