Denver, CO asked in Criminal Law for Colorado

Q: When i turn 18 will an mip get expunged from my record?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brian K. McHugh
Brian K. McHugh
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Littleton, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Your age does not matter under the requirements for sealing an MIP.

For a first offense, if the case was dismissed after completion of a diversion program or a deferred judgment and sentence, or if it was a conviction, after payment of the fine and upon completion of a court-ordered substance abuse education program, the Court is required to seal the record automatically.

If it was a second or subsequent offense, after one year from the date of the conviction, you can petition the Court to seal the record. The petition must be accompanied by a current criminal history. The Court is required to grant the petition if you have not been arrested for, charged with, or convicted of, a felony, misdemeanor, or petty offense during the one year period following the conviction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.