Stone Mountain, GA asked in Civil Litigation and Criminal Law for Georgia

Q: I got a ride from a friend in 2017 to go buy me a car and we were pulled over they searched the car a found drugs weapon

The took money from me and I had nothing to do with what they found they sent a letter pursuant to ocga 9-16-11(b) so just this past Monday the driver of the car went to court and told the truth that i didn’t know anything about what was in his car how can I get my money back

1 Lawyer Answer
Ecleynne Mercy
Ecleynne Mercy
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: After the law enforcement takes your property, the State must file a civil forfeiture complaint against you, with notice. You then have 30 days to file an answer to the complaint. Once your answer has been filed, a hearing will be scheduled within 60 days. It is important to timely file an answer to the complaint, because if not filed within the specified time period a default judgment will be issued against you in the State’s favor. Loveless v. State, 337 Ga. App. 250, 786 S.E.2d 899 (2016).

Your answer must include all relevant facts, for instance– you must specify why the asset is legally yours, how you procured the asset, affirmative defenses, and more.

At your hearing, you and/or your attorney will need to show the court proof that the asset in question was not associated with any illegal activity. The burden of proof is different in a civil proceeding than a criminal proceeding. Civilly the burden of proof is preponderance of evidence standard or probable cause, which means the State has to prove that more likely than not, the assets are associated with criminal activity.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.