Asked in Child Support and Family Law for Georgia

Q: I have an active case with DCSS in GA can I still file child abandonment against the NCP.

Over 6 yrs no contact with our children, more than $20,000 in arrears, over 90 days no payments.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Yes, you can file for child abandonment. You should also contact a private attorney to see if they can help.

P. Justin Thrailkill
P. Justin Thrailkill
  • Fayetteville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Yes, you can. That may make you feel better about it, but the bigger issue is getting paid. If he's incarcerated on child abandonment charges, how can he earn money to pay you? The Court will likely incarcerate him for contempt anyway. Depending on the county, they can put him on work release to allow him to work to repay the child support. That's likely your better option.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.