Northfield, MN asked in Contracts for Wisconsin

Q: If I don't have the completed copy of the lease, then can I cancel it without any penalty?

I was originally going to move into summer housing July 8th, and the landlord sent me the lease to sign (didn't have a signature of the landlord). I filled out my part and sent the paper to the landlord. Afterwards, I could not contact the landlord whatsoever - Facebook, email, call, everything. I am getting urgent with housing, so I decided to find somewhere else for summer housing, telling the landlord that I would like to cancel the lease, because he was simply unreachable (I'm pretty sure he didn't read this message yet either). If I don't have access to the completed lease and I tell my landlord that I would like to cancel the lease before I get it, simply because I have been waiting for a month and I still don't have access to the lease (and the move-in date is coming near), then is cancellation possible, or do I have to pay some compensation fee?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Based upon your facts the only reason you think you have an "incomplete lease" is because your copy does not have the landlord's signature on it; is that right? If so, the answer is tough darts. As long as you signed the lease you are liable under its terms. Look at the lease and find out what the early cancelation fee is. If you can afford it, just tell the landlord you are done and wait for their response. If they care they might come looking for the cancellation fee; but from these facts it sounds like they do not care.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.