Cairo, GA asked in Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for Georgia

Q: can any one give me some advice. thay have taken my nieceaway

from my brother me and my wife of 26 years she is stay at home mon I have been on my job and address

for more 3 years. me and my wife would like to try to get some kind of custody or if nothing else to get her home with

us. until my brother can get every thing taken care of that the court ordered him to do on many occasions. I have tried

to get hold of caseworker. never no return call. there is one thing.come to find out my brother is not biological of

Cheyenne. hem and her were married and steal are but thay are not to gather hi did sign the birth certificates.

the biological parents do not wont to have any thing to do with any of it ps her name is Cheyenne bryan.

I do not have much money to hire lawyers.

1 Lawyer Answer
P. Justin Thrailkill
P. Justin Thrailkill
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Fayetteville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: First, don't put your name and contact information in this forum. This is not for the solicitation of business and putting this information on a public forum could negatively impact any case you may have.

As far as your question, it sounds like a complicated situation. If the child was born during his marriage, the child is his child, legally, until the biological father legitimates the child or the child is otherwise adopted. That said, it sounds like your brother is in the middle of a dependency case. It is possible for the Court to place the child with you through kinship placement, but you have not right to petition for that. You can ask DFCS to recommend it, but they have to do a home study and determine that your home is the best fit for temporary placement. That is determined at the sole discretion of the Court, so, if they so no, that is it and you have no right to press the issue further.

Your brother is entitled to representation in this matter, so he needs to apply for a court appointed attorney if he doesn't have one already.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.