Petersburg, MI asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for Michigan

Q: Can I get custody of my niece?

My niece was removed from her mom due to drugs. My brother(out of state not in the picture) is the biological father. When my niece was removed she was placed with the mothers sister. My niece has recently been removed because of the aunt had kids fighting at her house and it is an unstable environment. Is there any way that I can petition for custody? I have not been in her life because up until about a year ago they all lived out of state. Do I have any just grounds? And how would I go about it if so?

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Your ability to intervene depends in part on your brother's legal status to the child. I understand that he is the biological father, but is he the legal father? It sounds like with the removal, this case may be heading toward a termination proceeding, in which both the mom and your brother's parental rights could end, and the child placed for adoption.

Best thing you can do is make sure your stuff is in order (e.g. you have stable housing, employment, and social history), and keep in touch with the case worker handling the case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.