Birmingham, AL asked in Child Support for Georgia

Q: Child support matter

I have 3 kids ages 18 16 and 11 the one 18 fixing to emancipate but I was told by friends it doesn’t matter my child support payments will stay the same until my last child graduate is that true? It been 3 years do you think I need to go for a review

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: If your child support is not a per child order, the amount doesn't change unless you modify it. You should consult a family law attorney to see if you would be likely to get a decrease.

1 user found this answer helpful

P. Justin Thrailkill
P. Justin Thrailkill
  • Fayetteville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: It depends on your order and how it is written. Even if the order doesn't automatically reduce support, you still have the ability to file for a modification of support once the 18 year old emancipates. You can apply to modify through the local child support office at a nominal cost if you decide to do so.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.