Park Falls, WI asked in Civil Litigation and Real Estate Law for Wisconsin

Q: We recently were going to purchase my recently passed dads home. We had it all set and 5 days before closing my

Husband changed his mind. Now the estates lawyer is coming after my husband for breach of contract. Can he do that ? Or force us to purchase

1 Lawyer Answer
Jason Anthony Greller
Jason Anthony Greller
  • Madison, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: Assuming that you have no contingencies remaining in the offer that you could exercise in good faith, then a failure to close on the part of the Buyer is a default. Assuming this is a standard WI WB-11 Offer to Purchase form, if Buyer defaults, Seller may:

(1) sue for specific performance and request the earnest money as partial payment of the purchase price; or

(2) terminate the Offer and have the option to: (a) request the earnest money as liquidated damages; or (b) sue for actual damages.

Of course the underlying tragedy here is that you just lost your father and now his estate threatens to sue you. One would hope that the family and estate would reach an amicable resolution.

Thomas B. Burton agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.