Rockwall, TX asked in Child Custody and Divorce for Missouri

Q: Got married in PR, husband’s in the Army in the states, but we want a divorce. Does it have to go through PR?

Husband is in the Army. He is stationed in the states. We got married in PR a few months ago. We have a daughter together.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lydia Seifner
Lydia Seifner
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Springfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: You do not have to get divorced where you got married. But you do have to get divorced in the state in which at least one of you lives. Most states follow specific rules about jurisdiction over children. It will be better to have your divorce in the state where the child has lived for the last six months. Speak to an attorney local to you to assist you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.