Van Buren, AR asked in Constitutional Law for Arkansas

Q: Would it be possible to get a ban reversed on an interactive website for infringing on my 1st Amendment rights?

I have been banned from a website for "hate speech". Given that the SCOTUS has ruled that "hate speech" was protected under the 1st Amendment, as well as Judge Naomi Buchwald ruling that the President's Twitter is a "public forum" so he cannot ban people, as well as Marsh v Alabama, stating that a corporation (which the website belongs to) cannot infringe on said rights while on their property that invites and acts as a public space, I believe a case may be set here.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
W. Whitfield Hyman
W. Whitfield Hyman
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Fayetteville, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: Private entities can't violate your rights to free speech. Exceptions would include things like the government is using a Facebook page and then blocks you from that Facebook page. Unless you're more specific, what you have described does not sound like a free speech violation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.